Sunday, March 3, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again: 60th Birthday Go-Kart/Hockey Cake

There has been a severe lack of cake on this blog lately because this little hobby and I had to take a bit of break from one another.  Side note to anyone who wonders why I keep cake decorating strictly a hobby, being able to ditch it for a little while when I get frustrated with it is one very good reason.  Any way, the last cake I made back in the fall was a horrendous mess.  Nothing I did went right, and I pretty much hated it.  I never even took pictures of it.  After that cake, I just kind of got fed up with cake decorating and felt like I  sucked and was never going to do it again.  An exaggeration of course, but sometimes you just need a break.

I finally came out of semi-retirement to make a 60th birthday cake.  The birthday boy plays hockey and races go-karts, so the challenge was designing a cake that combined the two.  We decided to devote the top of cake to go-karting and the sides to hockey.



The side pieces were all hand cut out of fondant which was time-consuming, but the biggest challenge for me was modeling the go-kart.   The base was rice crispy treats shaped and covered with fondant.  While I would do a few things differently next time, I think the end result was not too bad.



7 comments:

  1. Kate, the cake not only looked fantastic but treated good too! So glad you came out of semi retirement. Looking forward to more creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad it was enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. You incorporated the two hobbies great in this cake. The go cart is so cute. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said it elswehere, but I absolutely LOVE the puck flying into the corner of the cake, and although you don't show it in a photo here, the stitching detail on the go-kart seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the hockey puck was pretty much my favorite too.

      Delete