Sunday, March 10, 2013

Gold and Pink Ruffled Cake

One funny thing as a cake decorator, I almost never make cakes for my own birthday. In the last 7 years that I have been decorating cakes, I think have only made a cake for myself twice.  This year, for some reason, I got the itch to go all out for my birthday and try some new things. Everyone and their brother has done a ruffled cake, but I had yet to do one, so I took the opportunity to purchase the Maggie Austin Craftsy course on fondant frills (mini-review forthcoming) as she was pretty much at the forefront of the ruffled cake trend.   There are tons of different ways to do ruffles on cakes, but stylistically, I have always preferred Maggie Austin's paper thin, organic looking ruffles to the thicker, more symmetrical ruffles I see on most cakes.  On top of the ruffles, I have been dying to do a pink and gold cake, a combination that I think is so feminine and elegant.


The ruffles were done with straight fondant and edged with antique gold luster dust mixed with vodka. The middle tier was covered in pink fondant and the painted with more antique gold luster and vodka.  I purposely went for visible brush marks with the pink peeking through a little bit. The whole concept was for the cake to be purposefully imperfect which is harder to do than you would think.


I originally planned for more sugar flowers on the cake but in the end, I decided on one lovely, white gum paste rose edged in gold.  Just enough, I think.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. The ruffles are so delicate and lovely, and the gold and pink together are perfect.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,
    I just saw this stunning cake on Cake Central! Absolutely amazing! :) On CC, you mentioned using a brush with vodka and luster dust. Would you mind sharing how you do it? Is it a large fan-type of brush? What's your ratio of vodka to dust? Is there a brand of gold dust you prefer? I COMPLETELY understand if you'd rather not share but I thought I'd check just in case. Thanks, Katie! Keep up the beautiful caking!
    Jennifer
    SaltCakeCity@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,

      Sorry I missed notification of your comment. Thank you very much. I used a square shaped brush about 1 inch wide. The ratio was not exact but thinner than a pasted, but not so thin that it would drip. For this cake, I used antique gold by crystal colors. It is a beautiful burnished gold color. I just brushed in on in sections. I did two thin layers and left a little bit of the pink fondant purposely showing throwing.

      Kate

      Delete